Your Kitchen Sponge… A World Of Bacteria

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received one or more of the products or services mentioned above for free in the hope that I would mention it on my blog. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255: "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising."

I know all too well about the smelly germ soaked kitchen sponge. Within a few days, an odor starts and even picking it up leaves the odor on your hands. Yuck.

Its bathrooms that usually get a bad rap when it comes to germs, but it’s the kitchen that actually harbors more bacteria than any other room in the home. A recent study published in the journal Nature concludes that kitchen sponges are breeding grounds for bacteria. Because sponges are often wet, it allows for the growth of bacteria.

Kitchen Sponge Bacteria

It’s the same moist, micro-crevices that make a sponge an effective cleaning tool as well as the perfect residence for germs. The crevices are also the reason why they are difficult to disinfect. Wiping your counter tops or dishes with a sponge will only transfer bacteria from one item to another.

These bacterias harbor the same germs that can cause colds or flu. The use of sponges can potentially cause the spread of these bacterias to your countertop, cutting board, fridges, floors to the drain in your sink.

The number of bacteria it can take to make someone sick is from as little as 10. Once your sponge has been affected by a single bacteria cell it can multiply to more than 8 million cells in less than 24 hours. Wow, that’s pretty eye-opening stuff.

The Myth of Cleaning Sponges

The study revealed that even cleaning your sponges doesn’t result in removing all the bacteria, and any remaining bacteria can multiply.

Looks are deceiving. You aren’t able to see contamination or organisms that cause diseases. So you can’t tell if the sponge you are using is contaminated. One good indicator is the foul smell, but even without the smell, your sponge can be contaminated. Are you willing to take the risk of contaminating your family?

So what is a better option?

I was sent a DishFish scrubber and sponge to test. It scrubs with ease through though baked on food, like my slow cooker dish that I use to bake all the time, and the food scraps wash off the scrubber really easily. It is also non-scratch and doesn’t scratch my non-stick pots and pans. It is durable and keeps its perfect fish shape, which also allows it to get into all the nooks and crannies ie. the bottom of my vase.

DishFish Scrubber

The tail of the DishFish is designed so that once you’re done cleaning you stand upright, which allows the scrubber and sponge to drain in minutes allowing it to stay fresh & dry, naturally inhibiting bacteria growth.

The DishFish™ difference is its Powercell Technology™

DishFish Technology

All three DishFish models are made with this technology. It resists bacteria naturally and lasts 2X longer than your normal average dish sponge. One of the most important and best features of the new DishFish scrubbers and sponges is that it reduces bacteria odors naturally, with no toxic chemicals.

The three models include:

DishFish Scrubber  A scrubber with PowerCell Technology for, scratch-free and immaculate surfaces. Available for purchase now.

DishFish Dual Is a scrubber and sponge with PowerCell Technology with scratch-free scrubbing and ultra absorbent foam sponge which allows for “wipe dry” results.

DishFish Soapie A de-greasing soap-infused scrubber and sponge. Available for purchase soon.

BUY NOW

We won't send you spam. Unsubscribe at any time. Powered by ConvertKit

Comments

  1. Bev Thoms says:

    I have tried that fish sponge and it is really great. I go through a lot of sponges as I throw them out every other day. So the fish sponge is a good buy.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *